Posts for tag: Menopause Counseling
At Capital Women's Care in Rockville, MD, our physicians and their support staff provide counseling and treatment options for a very important part of life: menopause. From the management of symptoms to providing the psycho-social support you need to navigate this change, your four gynecologists stay with you every step of the way for a better quality of life.
Menopause and its changes
Often referred to as "the change," menopause typically occurs in a women's early fifties. She becomes infertile due to aging ovaries and very limited production of estrogen and testosterone. Ovulation and menstruation cease, and pregnancy is no longer possible.
Other signs and symptoms of menopause include:
- Hot flashes and sweats, particularly at night
- Vaginal thinning and dryness
- Decreased libido
- Increased body weight
- Mood swings
- Slower metabolic rate
- Dry skin
- Lost volume in breast tissue
- Minor urinary incontinence
- Spotty, irregular menstruation, followed by total lack of monthly periods
Some women sail through menopause with minimal to moderate discomfort. Others, however, experience significant struggle and benefit from close monitoring, treatment and counseling from the team at Capital Women's Care in Rockville. Our doctors fully customize care plans to reduce symptoms, manage emotional effects and increase sexual and overall wellness.
Counseling and treatment options
The American Counseling Association states that for many women, menopausal symptoms may begin as early as age 40. Along with the physical changes, women experience a sense that they are not themselves.
As such, your gynecologist may recommend counseling with a mental health professional. Additional recommended treatments may include:
- Daily exercise
- Adequate hydration
- HRT (hormone replacement therapy) for severe symptoms only for a limited time
- Wearing cool clothing at night and keeping the bedroom cool and well-ventilated
- Exploring the use of natural supplements for night sweats and hot flashes (ask your doctor what's best)
- Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Moisturizing the skin, hair and vagina (use of a lubricant for sex)
- Keeping watch on your weight, blood sugar and cholesterol
- Getting your cancer check-ups at the proper intervals--colonoscopy, pap smear and mammogram
Feel more like you
Menopause really is a big change. However, it's a natural and sometimes, much-anticipated one. For medical and emotional help through this season of your life, contact Capital Women's Care in Rockville for a consultation with one of our four experienced and caring gynecologists. Call our office at (301) 569-6301.