Have you scheduled a well-woman care visit with your gynecologist this year? These visits, offered by the gynecologists here at Capital Women's Care in Rockville, MD, can help you protect and improve your reproductive and general health.
How You Can Benefit From a Well-Woman Care Visit
Visiting your gynecologist once a year is a must no matter what your age. Your appointment may include:
- A Pelvic and Breast Examination: Your gynecologist will look for possible signs of cancer when examining your breasts. Pelvic exams are helpful in detecting abnormalities of the female reproductive system, such as cysts, lumps, fibroids, genital warts, sores, rashes, or abnormal discharge.
- A Pap Test: This simple screening test detects the presence of abnormal cells or cancer of the cervix. Although Pap tests used to be performed every year, The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) has changed its recommendations. If you're 21 to 29, you will need a Pap test every three years. Women 30 to 65 need a Pap smear and human papillomavirus (HPV) test every five years or a Pap smear alone every three years.
- Other Screenings and Tests: Your visit to the Rockville office will also include a blood pressure screening. High blood pressure can increase your risk of kidney/heart disease, vision loss, and stroke, yet it may not cause any symptoms initially. Your doctor may also recommend other tests if needed, such as blood tests to check your thyroid function or screening tests for sexually transmitted diseases.
- Perimenopause and Menopause Information and Recommendations: The perimenopause and menopause years can bring about a variety of changes, from hot flashes to mood changes to vaginal dryness. Your gynecologist can prescribe medications that can help you handle these changes and make helpful suggestions that will improve your comfort.
- Discussions About Your Reproductive Health: Your gynecologist will also want to know about any questions or concerns you have about your reproductive health. Your annual well-woman care visit is the perfect time to discuss birth control options, pelvic pain, fertility planning, or your risk of sexually transmitted diseases.
Protect your health with a well-woman's care visit. Call your Rockville, MD, gynecologists at Capital Women's Care at (301) 569-6301 to schedule your appointment.